/ Oct 24, 2020
PTE is a computer-based academic English language test aimed at non-native English speakers wanting to study abroad. It includes the tests such as Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. Questions often test 2 skills together, such as listening and reading or reading and speaking. The PTE is used to evaluate the communication skills of a non-native speaker in English which aids universities to determine whether a student can understand the course material if taught entirely in English. It is also accepted as a benchmark for English proficiency by countries as a part of their immigration program.
1. The PTE is generally taken by people whose first language is not English in order to study in or immigrate to English speaking countries.
2. The scores of the PTE exam are accepted as criteria for admission to many universities across the world.
3. Many of the top ranked universities such as Harvard, Yale, and INSEAD accept PTE scores as criteria for granting admissions.
4. Candidates should be at least 16 years old in order to attempt the PTE.
5. Candidates less than 18 years of age need to provide proof of parent’s consent.
PTE has two test versions: PTE academic and PTE general
PTE academic test is specially designed for students who plan to study in an under graduation or post-graduation program where the medium of instruction is in English.
PTE general test examines an immigrant’s ability to communicate easily in English and assimilate in an English speaking society.
1. PTE academic is of three-hour duration.
2. Candidates are tested for their listening, reading, speaking and writing skills.
3. The candidates are required to listen to questions or read them from a printout and answer them accordingly.
4. The PTE academic test is comprised of 20 different questions which are spread among the three major sections.
5. The questions can be in the form of analytical interpretation, multiple choice questions or essay prompts.
1. The PTE general test is typically comprised of two sections, writing and speaking.
2. The written test is used to examine the listening, reading and writing skills of the candidate.
3. The speaking test is used to assess the proficiency of the candidate in speaking English.
|Part of test||Item type||Skills assessed||Type of scoring|
|Part 1:Speaking and writing||Personal introduction||Not assessed||Unscored|
|Read aloud||Reading and speaking||Partial credit|
|Repeat Sentence||Reading and speaking||Partial credit|
|Describe Image||Speaking||Partial credit|
|Re-tell Lecture||Reading and speaking||Partial credit|
|Answer short question||Listening and speaking||Correct/incorrect|
|Summarize written text||Reading and writing||Partial credit|
|Write essay||Writing||Partial credit|
|Part 2:Reading||Multiple-choice, choose single answer||Reading||Correct/incorrect|
|Multiple-choice, choose multiple answers||Reading||Partial Credits|
|Re-order paragraphs||Reading||Partial credit|
|Reading: Fill in the blanks||Reading||Partial credit|
|Reading & writing: Fill in the blanks||Reading and writing||Partial credit|
|Part 3:Listening||Summarize spoken text||Listening and writing||Partial credit|
|Multiple-choice, choose multiple answers||Listening||Partial credit*|
|Fill in the blanks||Listening and writing||Partial credit|
|Highlight correct summary||Listening and reading||Correct/incorrect|
|Multiple-choice, choose single answer||Listening||Correct/incorrect|
|Select missing word||Listening||Correct/incorrect|
|Highlight incorrect words||Listening and reading||Partial credit*|
|Write from dictation||Listening and writing||Partial credit|
1. The test results are generally declared within five working days of the date of taking the test.
2. The scores for PTE Academic are valid for a period of two years from the test date will be taken off once the validity period expires, whereas the scores for PTE General are valid forever and do not have any expiry dates.
3. There is no passing mark for PTE academic and universities are allowed to use their own discretion to set scores as a threshold for admission.
4. No minimum PTE is benchmarked for PTE general and countries set their own benchmarks when evaluating candidates for immigration.
1. SMART STUDY provides a commitment of proficient PTE test preparation with expert tutors and latest curricula.
2. The PTE classes are held in lecture rooms with assistance of interactive sessions.
3. Mock tests and other various tests are conducted on the behalf of the candidates to boost the confidence with an assurance of good scores in the actual examination.
4. A detailed and personalized feedback of the test results is provided to the individual candidates along with tips and tricks for better results in the examination.
Get Our Daily News And Updates